My #MeToo Post



An hour or so ago, a man I do not know went on a short Facebook rant about how #MeToo destroys creativity and victimizes men.

Here’s my take on that: Guurl, it’s come to Jesus time.

Let’s look at Al Franken, shall we? Many liberals think he was done wrong by the #MeToo movement.  He defends himself by first ignoring or dismissing some of the complaints and then arguing that the most detailed and original complaint was by a conservative plant. Okay, but why did you do it? What made you think it was okay to use your power to cross boundaries and treat someone in a way that made her feel uncomfortable? And do I want a senator who willingly abuses his power?

It’s the same for Joe Biden. I don’t care if you’ve always been a toucher and a hugger. You should get consent first. I hear people say, “should he ask permission to hug people?” YES. When my pastor first came to my church, he asked me if I was a hugger. It’s what normal people do! What makes Joe Biden exempt from standard rules of politeness? His power? His popularity? His age? 

The list of “minor” offenders might be endless. Louis C J comes to mind as a non-politician who used his position of power to cross personal boundaries and make women uncomfortable.

Each of these men has been portrayed as a victim of an overzealous feminist movement. Suddenly, we are talking about the women who were hurt as perpetrators and the men who offended as victims. Interesting how you did that.

I have heard people say that there is a false equivalency to the #MeToo movement. No there’s not. I don’t think that Al Franken and Jeffry Epstein are equivalent; we all know that they are not. I know that sexual abuse and inappropriate behavior are two different things. 

I also don’t think people should always lose their jobs. I DO think that you should examine why it is that you feel free to cross boundaries and potentially harm people. And if you’re a public figure, it might be a good thing to make some of that contemplation public. It would be a wonderful addition to the conversation.  

This is a conversation that was silenced too long. Join us.

*** This rant is inspired by a Facebook guy I don’t know AND a recent podcast from Call Your Girlfriend: A podcast for long-distance besties everywhere.


Comments

NLP said…
This makes sense to me.

Popular posts from this blog

Embarrassing Personal Revelation #892

Holy Shit! I am going to get a job washing dishes for a living!

First comes love. . .