GI Bill--blasting open the academy doors

On my way to work this morning, there was an article on Morning Edition about the original GI bill and the changes it made in America and in individual lives. I was stunned by the sheer numbers of Nobel and Pulitzer winners--not to mention the other great contributions made to our culture by veterans who would not necessarily have gone to college without the bill. I think that is interesting.

Susan and I were talking yesterday about college tuition in exchange for national service (not just the military). Of course, these days we're not even willing to spend the tax dollars on a GI bill of the scope of the old one. We still give money for school, but it is spare, indeed.

Here I go again, willing to spend our tax dollars in yet another way. Ah well. What do you expect?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embarrassing Personal Revelation #892

Holy Shit! I am going to get a job washing dishes for a living!

Mothers and Daughters