Political Statements



One of my students was wearing this tee-shirt today. Of course, I am thrilled that any of my students shows an interest in politics, but this was an odd rhetorical statement.

My student is a VERY white young man with the tousled blondish hair of a snow boarder (which he is). He is very sweet. I am glad that a young white boy from a privileged background can identify with Obama, but it also could be read as a bad thing. It plays right in to the "Obama's not black enough" camp. I don't know how serious a problem that is, but I worry about it. Why was that my first thought when seeing my student in the shirt?

No matter. I could have kissed his ruddy cheeks this morning--I am so tired of hearing my students say they don't care--it was great to see evidence of the opposite.

Comments

Jen said…
I just found you over at from the frontlines and your comment made me laugh out loud. Glad it led me to your blog.

Can I steal your bumper sticker idea?
Anonymous said…
Don't take it too literally. Seriously those homeboy shirts are out for everyone.

Hillary Clinton, Ron Paul, Jesus Christ, Buddha...

It has nothing to do with race. Don't make it a race issue.

Popular posts from this blog

Embarrassing Personal Revelation #892

Holy Shit! I am going to get a job washing dishes for a living!

First comes love. . .