Ethanol News!

We have all heard that ethanol made from corn is not very cost effective. Evidently, we have to use a great deal of fuel, land, fertilizer, water, and other resources to grow corn to be turned into alcohol, and it just doesn't make fiscal or environmental sense to continue to develop ethanol in this way. Indeed, if we didn't have the farm subsidies and the sanctions, we would never have developed it to this extent. It is, as it stands, a government boondoggle.

But take heart my dears! News is out that a company in Georgia--Range Fuels--has developed a way to make ethanol from waste! You heard me--waste. They claim that soon they will be able to supply enough ethanol to replace the oil we get from Venezuela and the Persian Gulf combined.

This makes me happy. It is a great example of problems being solved by the private sector. What? Did I just say that? Well, I'm still a big ol' liberal, and I still think our government is responsible for investigating and encouraging the development of sustainable energy, but
they aren't doing it. So hurray for the private sector!

I'm doing my happy citizen dance.

Comments

Zee said…
This is awesome! I hope it turns into something spectacular.

Thanks for the comment! The 30 Days of Thanks thing isn't my idea, actually. Through the NaBlo site, there's a group of us... or you can just click on the 30 Days of Thanks icon on my side bar if you want to join the group. It's really made me think so far about all that I have to be thankful for every day... something I don't do often enough.
Wow! Now that is some incredible news. I still find it hard to believe that the US is still so dependent on foreign oil.

When I was a kid, I thought that we'd all be using solar and geothermal by now, or at the very least, cars would get 100 mpg by now. Instead folks seem to be getting big old gas guzzlers again.

Thannks for the info! :)
Serge said…
Might be useful! Let's hope oil giants are not gonna buy out the new enterprise ;)
Mrs. G. said…
I'm cautiously optimistic. Like Serge, I hope this company doesn't go the way of the electric car...have you seen that documentary? Unbelievable. Still, I'm happy to see anyone dance a happy dance.
Nancy Bergenske said…
Hi there,
Found you on the NaBloPoMo and thought I'd check out your blog... I, too, like the show Pushing Daisies... the narration is clever and sometimes even hilarious!

Good News about the ethanol... we need some relief from oil dependency.
Serge said…
Haw! Quite by chance stumbled upon this site after reading your post: http://ethanol-business.com/
I am not sure this one and the one you mentioned are connected (besides by the topic), but it sure is interesting stuff.
On another note - my Arkansas friend has bought a hybrid car and can't have enough of it - so happy with the mpg ratio : )
But anywho, dancing a happy dance is never premature, even inspiring :)
Jessica R. said…
That's really cool!

On a side note: Tag! You're it! (Check out my blog for details!)
Karen Jensen said…
Rose, I'd play tag if I knew how to get to your blog!
Lanie said…
Sounds exciting! I am into anything GREEN! Maybe we should invest now! I've read a lot about using recycled cooking oil as well

Popular posts from this blog

Embarrassing Personal Revelation #892

Holy Shit! I am going to get a job washing dishes for a living!

Mothers and Daughters